Friday, August 5, 2011

Braised Beef Brisket (炆牛腩)

Per the requested by a dear friend of mine, I asked my mom to write down her recipe for the braised beef brisket that's very popular back home... it's probably not the exact dup from your favorite noodle house but it should be the next best thing :)







In case you are having trouble reading her instructions, here's my translation of it-

1.  Cover beef brisket and beef tendon in water, add 2 star anise (八角) and 1 slice of dried citrus peel (陳皮), and bring to a boil. Turn off the heat and let it steam with the lid on until the water cools down. Bring to a boil again and repeat the process until the meat is 80% to your desired tenderness.

2. Add oil to wok, sliced up a thumb-sized fresh ginger, 2-3 cloves of diced garic, Chu Hou Sauce (柱候醬) and quick fry the ingredients in the wok.

3. Add the tenderized beef brisket and tendons, sugar, light soy sauce (生抽), and dark soy sauce (老抽) to #2.

4. Add the water you cooked the beef in to #3 and braise the beef to your desired doneness.

(Optional) Add potatoes and fish balls.

Don't ask me how much of everything you need to put... I just asked my mom and she said "if they cook, they know; I don't know how much I put in, I guess everytime and it changes everytime..." -.-|||

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...