Thursday, February 5, 2015

[Bangkok] Roast Coffee & Eatery

When in Thailand, most people would associate with tom yum, pad thai, curries, and the colorful variety of street food.  Nevertheless, 2 consecutive weeks of Thai food is too much even for me.  That's why I am excited to have discovered Roast!

P1750239

Roast is located in Thong Lo, which is a bit far for most tourists.  However, it is also referred to as the Soho of Bangkok!  Lots of unique cafes, rooftop bars, and Japanese restaurants.  Lots of expat lives here so it's no surprise that Roast found its footing here.  Roast is also the only restaurant I waited approximately 30 minutes in line on a Sunday morning, for a table for 1...  LOL!!!

P1750242
P1750249

I was asked if I preferred an indoor or outdoor seat.  I think the wait for indoor was longer so I told the host outdoor is fine.  In the end, they were able to give me an indoor seat :)  Bangkok is still pretty hot to sit outdoor even in January...

P1750240
P1750244
P1750245
P1750248

The menu is in the popular newspaper style that has been adopted at many similar type restaurants.  Roast offers a wide range of dishes typically found in an American bistro.  Prices are also very reasonable.  (i.e., expensive compared to other local restaurants but cheap compared to Sunday Brunch places in Hong Kong.)  I also like how roomy and bright the dining area is.

P1750247
P1750246
P1750241

One of Roast's signature drinks is the Iced Espresso Latte.  I really enjoyed it!  The milk is full milk and oh-so-creamy.  The froth makes it even creamier.  The coffee cubes are a great idea to keep my ice coffee cold but not watered down.  (Greyhound cafe offers their iced lemon tea in a similar concept, which is very delicious as well.)  Anytime I don't need to add sugar to my coffee is a good coffee to me :)  (I hate acidic coffees so I add sugar to cover-up the taste!)

P1750250
P1750252
P1750254

Although everything was tempting on the menu, I settled for the good old classic eggs benedict with crispy parma ham.  The poached eggs were perfectly done and the salty parma ham nicely complimented the soft English muffin and the eggs.  I liked the salad too.  The amount of dressing (it was a refreshing lemon based dressing) was just right - it didn't weight the greens down!

P1750257
P1750258

Overall, a very happy brunch at Roast even though Thong Lo was a bit far (approx. THB80 taxi one way and a solid 30 minutes ride from Sala Daeng).  I walked back to the BTS Thong Lo station after my meal to help digestion (about a 15 minute walk) and passed by a mango place.  (It's just off the main road.)  I found out after the fact that it's one of the best mango sticky rice (one of my favorite dish from Thailand) place in town.  Not that I could eat anymore but I still hate myself for not grabbing some to go.

Roast Coffee & Eatery
2/F SeenSpace, Thonglor 13, Bangkok, Thailand
Tel: +66 02 185 2865
Hours: (Mon-Thu) 10:00 am - 11:00 pm; (Fri-Sat) 9:00 am - 11:00 pm; (Sun) 9:00 am - 10:00 pm

1 comment:

  1. I am hoping the same best effort from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing skills has inspired me. Medium roast coffee

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...