Thursday, January 17, 2019

2018 Highlights and Recap

If you have been following my blog for a while, you would notice I have been inactive for most of 2018.  I see it as a good thing - it means I've got too many things to do - and if you also follow my IG, you would easily see why...  17 trips, 10 countries, countless cities in a mere 52 weeks!

15,000 feet @ Airlie Beach

Even though a frequent update is no longer feasible, I still think it's good to do a highlight post every year and January is usually the best time for me since I am usually less busy :)

Tokyo, Japan (Feb 2018)

The famous Slam Dunk scene @ Kamakurakoko-mae

A personal trip with my college friend.  It's her first trip to Asia.  After spending a week in my hometown, we went to Tokyo together.  A number of our college friends are from Japan so we are very fortunate to be able to catch up with a few of them.  I also get to visit Lake Kawaguchi, Enoshima/Kamakura, and spend time with my friend and her family in Moriya. 

Shanghai/Shenzhen/Beijing, China (March 2018)


Great Wall @ Beijing, China

While Shanghai and Shenzhen were planned, Beijing was added the last minute.  No complains as I got to take a few personal days and saw the Great Wall in spring where it is covered with beautiful flowers (and it was cool enough that I can actually enjoyed the walk.)

Melbourne/Brisbane, Australia (June 2018)

The Twelve Apostles @ The Great Ocean Road
Finally not Sydney for work!  I have always hear good things about Melbourne and I am so excited to be able to see for myself.  Produce in Australia is amazing as usual.  The Great Ocean Road day trip with Go West Tour is lovely.  Brisbane is great to visit in the Australian winter.  Very "Aussie" compared to Sydney and Melbourne.  I personally think it's a great base city to explore Australia.  I also recommend an overnight trip (if you can spare it) to Moreton Island when you are in Brisbane.

Whitsundays, Australia (June 2018)


Hill Inlet @ Whitsundays
Every friend of mine who went to Australia for working holiday recommended me Whitsundays.  Beautiful white sand beach, almost perfect weather, it's hard not to fall in love with this place.  I also finally tried skydiving!  It is truly liberating!

Tropical North Queensland: Cairns / Port Douglas / Cape Tribulations, Australia (June 2018)

Nemo @ the Outer Reef
Didn't spend much time in Cairns but I rented a car and drove up to Port Douglas.  It is a short and beautiful drive.  Drove further up to Cape Tribulations and enjoyed the rainforest up there.  Also went snorkeling in the outer reef. 

DC, USA (July 2018)

Lake Thoreau @ DC
DC is hands down one of my favorite cities in the states.  This time, in addition to downtown and Georgetown, I also discovered the Meadowlark Gardens and the neighborhood of Lake Thoreau.  Beautiful! 

NYC, USA (July 2018)

Manhattan Henge @ NYC

The best part of my NYC trip this year was hanging out with my college friend and her friend over the weekend.  We ate a lot, walked a lot, and laughed a lot.  We even got a Saturday night table at the coveted the 3 Michelin Stars restaurant - La Bernardine.  I also get to hang out with my Aussie co-worker and we walked the Brooklyn Bridge and watched Manhattan Henge 2018 together.  Last but not least, I also met up with my other US friends.  Seems like my social life is more exciting when I am on the road these days...

Tibet, China (August 2018)

Tibet Autonomous Region
Finally checked this off my to-do list.  I still got a lot on my bucket list but at least this one is done.  It was a long vacation - 19 days in total (including weekends) - with a stopover in Chengdu.  Long story short, the tour guide I found from Facebook is a scam so not only I would not recommend it, I constantly thought about reporting him to the authorities and writing a full scale bad review on major travel forums.  The next 3 paragraphs are rants so you can skip them if you are not interested.

He was extremely disorganized and irresponsible.  He kept on telling us to buy plane ticket via Skyscanner but there are actually a lot of restrictions if you are not a Chinese national.  (The price is not even the same if you don't have a PRC ID card.)  He simply let us struggle on our own.  He claimed to be sick with a cold when we arrive but he kept on drinking alcohol while on cold meds.  He claimed he was so sick and left us with the drivers as soon as we are out of Lhasa (after he collected the money of course).  How could you charge a tour price when you are not taking the responsibility of a tour guide?  He even asked us to tip our drivers upon returning to Lhasa but didn't want to tell us how much?  This is not my first time hiring a driver in China and I know this is not the usual practice.  In addition, we only found out after we arrived but 2 out of the 3 drivers he used did not have proper license.  I doubt he has an operating license as a travel agency.  (i.e., he and his illegal drivers do not have proper insurance coverage!!!)  Btw, this is totally illegal and I would not wish the same upon even my worst enemy.  If I knew earlier, I would have arranged for my own driver or even join a local tour after I arrived in Lhasa.  Why pay this middleman who did nothing? 

To add insult to the injury, we did not go to some of the places he listed in his itinerary and when we asked our drivers, they told us the place the guide listed in the itinerary is inaccessible by car.  We would have to rent a motorcycle and it would take us 2 hours one way to get there.  The other place was shut down by the government for restoration since the year before.  *rolleyes*

Since we went for the "Great Northwest" line, we also spent a lot of time in the car.  The roads are bad so it was not pleasant.  Our driver later told us our itinerary is too long.  His other group generally spends around 12 days on the same tour.  Anyhow, I am so pissed at this guy and even though I meant for this post to be short, I wasted 3 paragraphs bitching about him.  Karma is a bitch, I hope he gets what he deserves.

If you plan to go to Tibet and you are not a Chinese national, make sure you join a reputable tour agency.  If you are a Chinese national or you are from HK/Macau and wanted to hire a driver, make sure your driver has the proper license plate ("藏A L ####").

London, UK (September 2018)


Stonehenge @ UK
It was really refreshing to go back to the civilized world after Tibet.  The toilets... *pukes*  September is a nice month to visit London.  Since I was there for 3 weeks, I got the time to really explore.  Discovered a lot of nice restaurants and neighborhoods.  And also, I finally visited Stonehenge!

Scotland (October 2018)

Isle of Skye @ Scotland
If Tibet was a disappointment, Scotland more than made up for it.  Skye is magical.  I would rather revisit Scotland before I would return to Tibet.  There are many beautiful place on earth, why torture yourself?

Taipei, Taiwan (October 2018)


Wulai @ Taiwan
A short trip for work but always happy to be back for the food and more importantly, my trusted hair colorist is there!

Seoul, Korea (November 2018)

Buseoksa Temple @ South Korea
My love-hate relationship with Korea continues.  I am just glad that work gets smoother every time.  Very blessed I got to go this time at the peak of the fall season so I saw a lot of beautiful leaves.

Kyoto, Japan (November 2018)

Arashiyama @ Japan
The plane tickets are very cheap since I bought mine early 2018.  Again, I went at the peak of the fall season so I am blessed with colors.  I have probably seen 5 years worth of fall this year but I am not complaining.  I can live in Kyoto if they let me.

Krabi, Thailand (December 2018)


Pra Nang Beach @ Thailand
A last minute decision.  Air Asia just opened a direct flight route from Macau to Krabi and the promotional price was something I cannot refuse.  What a beautiful way to wrap up the year!

I have a feeling 2019 is going to be just exciting!  If you are interesting in keeping up with my schedule, follow my Instagram!  For more photos of my trips in 2018, go check out my Google+ Album!.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...