Monday, July 1, 2013

Apple Turnovers

Originally, I planned to make palmiers this weekend... as I opened my dough package, I finally realized I bought phyllo dough instead of puff pastry.  Clearly, I can't make palmiers with phyllo dough... (duh!)  Since I got my butter melted and phyllo dough opened, I have to make something... the first thing came to my mind was - Apple Turnovers.

Untitled

I am a big fan of apple pies and turnovers are super easy to make (especially when you have the phyllo dough on hand).  I looked up the recipe from allrecipes.com and found this.

After reading the ingredients list, the only thing I must buy is the Granny Smith apples.  No big deal~ I got changed and went to the nearest grocery store and got me some apples.  As usual, I substitute and modified the recipe to suit my taste and the apple turnovers turned out delicious!  

Untitled

Here's what I did based on the original recipe:

Ingredients:

1 small lime
2 cups water
4 Granny Smith Apples - peeled, cored, and diced

Untitled
I preferred my apples diced > sliced for more texture

2 tbsp butter* 
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 stick of cinnamon
1 tbsp cornstarch*
1 tbsp water*
1 package frozen phyllo dough sheets, thawed

* I don't have a measuring spoon so I used my best estimate

Directions:

1.  Squeeze the lime into the water in a small pot and add a pinch of salt.  Add the diced apples in the solution.  

Untitled

2.  Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium heat.  Drain water from apples and add them to the hot skillet.  Cook and stir for about 2 minutes.  Add the granulated sugar and cinnamon.  Cook and stir for another 2 minutes.  Stir together the cornstarch and 1 tbsp water.  Pout into the skillet and bring to a boil.  Cook for another minute or until sauce has thickened.  Remove from heat and cool slightly. 

Untitled
Untitled
Use brown sugar if you have it!
It does make a difference taste-wise

3.  Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).

4.  Unfold phyllo dough sheets, cut them into squares / rectangles.  Each of my wrappings has about 4-ply of the phyllo dough.  Place turnover on a baking sheet.  Spoon apples onto the center of each squares / rectangles.  Brush egg wash onto the corners and fold.  Press edges together to seal.  Brush egg wash on the surface of the turnovers.  Leave about 1 inch space between each turnover.

Untitled
Untitled
my mom said: "if I knew you were using my eggs for egg wash,
I would have give you a not-so-fresh egg."

geez... it's just an egg... mom...

Note:  You can make them into pretty triangles but since mine are gonna get consumed immediately by people who don't really care about how they look, I didn't bother... lol...  To make the turnovers into pretty triangles, you need to cut the dough sheets into pretty squares first...  which is too much work for me on a Sunday night.

Untitled

5.  Bake for 20-25 minutes in the preheated oven, until turnovers are puffed and lightly browned.  Cool completely or enjoy immediately.

Untitled
Even I tried to make the sauce thicker by adding more cornstarch, it's still runny when baked.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...