Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Chasing Sakura - Japan (16) - Nagoya: Atsuta Shrine (熱田神宮)

Finally back from my Inner Mongolia trip!  If you are following me on Instagram, you will be able to see a preview of my trip.  Work is getting busier so I can only do my best to get these updates up as fast as I can... but then, summer time is also the best time to enjoy the outdoors right? So please bear with me!

If you have ever played King of Fighters, I am sure you know Kyo Kusanagi.  Well, it has nothing to do with Atsuta Shine.  It just makes me think of the Kusanagi no Tsurugi everytime.  According to the Kojiki (the oldest extant chronicle in Japan), the Atsuta Shrine was originally founded to house the Kusanagi no Tsurugi!  Sadly, peasants like me are not allowed to appreciate the beauty of the sword... yet, the Atsuta Shrine is beautiful and worth a visit in my opinion.

P1370346
the south entrance
nagoya001
I love the path of trees
P1370360
Map of Atsuta Shrine
P1370361
Every Japanese shrine has a place where visitors can purify themselves before presenting themselves to the gods.
P1370401
P1370363
And it also appears to be the norm for local breweries to offer their sake to the gods
P1370364
a very old tree
I need to brush up my Japanese history... maybe I should start playing “信長の野望” (Nobunaga no Yabō)
The shrine is displaying the history of the three most influential domiyo during the Sengoku period in Japan.
I really need to find more time to study the history of this period.
(History always entices me...)
P1370392
In addition to the Sengoku history, the legend of Hōrai  is also displayed here
P1370369
P1370383
P1370384
P1370377
I love checking my coordinates whenever I visit temples, shrines, important buildings lately :P  Who said Fung Shui is superstition?
this is what I do when I visit temples and palaces...
you know: "trust but verify"
P1370372
the temple goods shop
P1370378
P1370381
Untitled
Their amulets (御守)  are very pretty so I bought two as souvenirs.
Untitled
I thought I would at least see the replica of the Kusanagi no Tsurugi (天叢雲剣、草薙剣) but no... -.-
Not even a replica of the Kusanagi no Tsurugi is displayed here.
I wonder if it even exists.
P1370404
No, this is not it. :(
I later found out this place is famous... but I have an even more anticipated restaurant for lunch so I need to save room...
Apparently a famous udon place in Nagoya.
Since I wanted to try Houraiken, I didn't eat here.
But I bought the boxed set at the Nagoya station to enjoy at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...