Friday, July 18, 2014

Little Bao

If you want to find unique fusion food in Hong Kong, Little Bao is the place.  (However, Soho is expensive I wouldn't lie!)

IMG_3533


Selling what seemed to be traditional Chinese buns (aka Baozi) in a restaurant with a diner setting with English speaking servers & menu is interesting to say the least.  Sometimes I think Soho tries too hard to impress.  Nevertheless, it's an excellent place to bring your foreign / out-of-town friends!  They will feel right at home :)

IMG_3524

We order a drink and a couple of dishes to share.  Since there is *No Bao Cutting*, we each ordered a bun for ourselves...

IMG_3525
Short-rib Pan-fried Dumpling

Crispy wrapping and flavorful filling
At least you can tell you are eating short-rib right away
Presentation is lovely and an important element for almost all restaurants in Soho
IMG_3527
LB Fries

The fries were crispy (McDonald crispy) and the sambal coating
is slight sweet and spicy and very unique! I really enjoyed this one.
IMG_3528
"Mac & Cheese"

I can't say I am a big fan of Mac & Cheese
so when they make this mac & cheese with rice cakes
I can't say I love it
However, the creativity element is definitely there
Rice cakes, seriously, who would have thought?

A desparate westerner's last resort on "soul food"
in Hong Kong when all the shops were closed?
IMG_3529
The "Chicken" Bao

My friend said she really enjoyed
so I am just taking her word for it :P
IMG_3531
The "Pork Belly" Bao

The pork belly is well done,
gelatinous and the acidity from the cole slaw cut the
greasiness of the belly.

This is the ultimate fool-proof combination.
IMG_3532
You can't really screw up pork belly, especially in a bun.
I can probably eat 2 or 3 of these.

My own complain... too little / too expensive.

The food is good but to pay close to HK$80 (US$10) for a Chinese bun is just like asking a Mexican to pay US$10 for a taco.  (The buns are really, really small...)  Overpriced if you ask me!  But then again, we are in Soho.

Spending this much for a baozi is ok once in a while, but for my day to day consumption I'd stick to my HK$5.50 for a dried radish bun (菜脯包子) from Tong Kee Bao Dim (唐記包點)... (Yes, I am totally aware that they are not the same and I shouldn't be coming them on par... but I think I am in my anti-SoHo phase lately... LOL...)

IMG_3522

I didn't have a chance to try the LB Ice Cream this time as we were full already.  I heard a lot of good things about it.  If I passby again (it's right across from PMQ so the chances of my returning is high), I probably will still want to get one just to taste.

Little Bao
G/F, 66 Staunton Street, Central
Tel: +852 2194 0202
Hours:  Mon-Sat: 18:00-23:00 (Last order) Closed on Sun
No reservations / No Service Charge

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...