Saturday, October 9, 2010

Traditional Cheesecake

My mom's favorite - this recipe is actually from a friend of hers.  She makes me bake one of these almost every week and literally eats the whole thing herself when she visits... She doesn't even share (and her the weight gain is not proportionate - life is unfair)... even though all I want is a tiny little piece... (she gives me a piece in the end... a really tiny piece...)

Anyways, you probably noticed by now that I enjoy cooking (not dishes!!).  So a perfect opportunity presents itself tomorrow - a few of my friends and I are playing "platonic mahjong" (aka no money - I don't gamble, not even a penny) and I told the host I will bring a cheesecake :)

Fills at least one 9-inch pie crust.  Takes about 90 minutes total.  Estimated calories... you probably need to swim at least a full hour to work a slice off I think...

Ingredients:
4 egg whites
6 oz sugar
2 blocks of cream cheese (the "Philadelphia" taste better among the grocery store brands imo)
6 egg yokes (I used 4 since I don't want to waste 2 egg whites)
zest and juice from 1/2 an orange (or other citrus - e.g. lemon, lime, grapefruit - but they are too tart imo)
1 oz flour
1 9-inch graham pie crust, and 2 small banana bread type containers

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 265F/130C.  (You can crank up the heat and it will bake faster but patience is a virtue, especially when it comes to good eats!)
2. Beat egg whites and 4 oz sugar on high for approximately 1-2 minutes.
3. Break cream cheese, add the remaining sugar and beat on low, incorporate the egg yoke (one at a time), add orange zest and juice, and add flour.  Beat until everything is blended.
4. Slowly fold #1 into #2.  Beat on low for approximately 3 minutes or until everything is nicely blended together.
5. Pour #4 into the pie crust and containers.  (Make sure you poke all the bubbles on the cake so you won't have ugly holes later on your cake - which I always forget to do...)
6. Bake for approximately 60 minutes (I check every 20 minutes just to make sure nothing is burning.)
7. Let it cool and refrigderate overnight (or at least 2-3 hours) before serving. (My mom actually eats it fresh out from the oven also but I think it taste better when cold.)
8. (Optional) Serve with whip cream / ice cream / cherry sauce / strawberries / blueberries - well, you get my point, anything you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...