Saturday, October 9, 2010
6 oz sugar
2 blocks of cream cheese (the "Philadelphia" taste better among the grocery store brands imo)
6 egg yokes (I used 4 since I don't want to waste 2 egg whites)
zest and juice from 1/2 an orange (or other citrus - e.g. lemon, lime, grapefruit - but they are too tart imo)
1 oz flour
1 9-inch graham pie crust, and 2 small banana bread type containers
1. Preheat oven to 265F/130C. (You can crank up the heat and it will bake faster but patience is a virtue, especially when it comes to good eats!)
2. Beat egg whites and 4 oz sugar on high for approximately 1-2 minutes.
3. Break cream cheese, add the remaining sugar and beat on low, incorporate the egg yoke (one at a time), add orange zest and juice, and add flour. Beat until everything is blended.
4. Slowly fold #1 into #2. Beat on low for approximately 3 minutes or until everything is nicely blended together.
5. Pour #4 into the pie crust and containers. (Make sure you poke all the bubbles on the cake so you won't have ugly holes later on your cake - which I always forget to do...)
6. Bake for approximately 60 minutes (I check every 20 minutes just to make sure nothing is burning.)
7. Let it cool and refrigderate overnight (or at least 2-3 hours) before serving. (My mom actually eats it fresh out from the oven also but I think it taste better when cold.)
8. (Optional) Serve with whip cream / ice cream / cherry sauce / strawberries / blueberries - well, you get my point, anything you want.