Monday, August 26, 2013

Weekend Getaway: Ocean Park, Hong Kong (June 2013)

It's been a ridiculously long time since I last visited the Ocean Park.  I have been wanting to visit during the Halloween fest. but most of my friends are too timid to be scared!!!  I finally seized the opportunity and tempted my friends to go to Ocean Park with me.

Untitled

We found a Yahoo Groupon online and got a sweet deal to the park.  The only down side was that it has an expiration date!  Thus, we had to push forward with our plans even though it has been raining heavily on the date we went.  It worked out fine in the end as the rain was scattered and the weather was cool and cloudy.  No direct sun exposure!  Plus, there were only few people in the park.  No long lines to the attractions!

Untitled
Untitled

Things that never change - the cute plush dolls at the souvenir shop.  The only thing that changed is that I no longer throw a tantrum when I don't get a toy from here :P

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

My dad loves taking me to the Ocean Park when I was a kid.  He loves aquariums and all the marine life. I don't know about him but every time I go to an aquarium, I want seafood for dinner! XD

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
the face of a stingray is always so comical :)

The most amazing feature to me in the Grand Aquarium is this monstrous fish tank where all the fish swim in a circular fashion.  It is a spectacular display but if I were a fish, I probably would have a nervous breakdown within the first day inside that tank.

Untitled
Untitled
Not sure if they are all chasing this tank of food
Untitled
Untitled
I wonder if the fish know the shark is "watching" them.
If I were the shark, I would have a nervous breakdown too!

Although there was a section for the jellyfish inside the Grand Aquarium, the SeaJelly Spectacular is where you must go if you love jellyfish.  It is very relaxing and almost mind-numbing watching the jellyfish floating mindlessly inside the LED fish tanks!

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
It would be so cool if I have a fake jellyfish wall at home.
Maybe I can just get a HD video of the jellyfish in different LED light on loop.
I don't want real ones... that would be too much work.
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

I am impartial to aquariums but I am against some of these "houses".  Imagine yourself if you have to shared a crowded living space with other strangers and all you can do all day is pace back-and-forth in your house!  The walrus in the picture kept swimming in circles since there is nothing else better he could do!  There is absolutely nothing inside the "North Pole Encounter" except for the sad seals, sea lions, and walrus that were swimming in circles and waiting to die!!!  It is just so sad...  I'd rather watch a documentary of the mammals in the wild on Discovery or National Geographic channels...

Untitled
Sea lions chilling
Untitled
Untitled
Seals swimming in circles
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Super bored walrus swimming in endless circles...
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

As lonely as the North Pole Encounter is, the "South Pole Spectacular" appears more cheerful.  Perhaps I find penguins naturally happier creatures?

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

In the past, the Ocean Park Dolphin show is a main attraction of the park.  I am glad that the current show is less intense compared to the past.  The tricks the animals were asked to perform is actually detrimental to their well-being!!!  Click here and here for related articles.

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

There is a section inside the pack that reenacted what old Hong Kong used to look like.

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
There were quite a few stalls selling overprices traditional snacks.

The park has reconfigured it entrances and exits.  The last time I went, I could use the cable cars if I want to go to the other side of the park.  Now, people who are fear of heights can choose to take the train.  We took advantage of both :)

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

We also found time and rode two rides.  None of the rides were too "thrilling" in my opinion but then my definition of thrilling is probably different than most people.

Untitled

Time for some light snacks~  I highly recommend the butter corn!

Untitled
Untitled
free drumstick with our Yahoo coupon
Untitled

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...