Saturday, August 17, 2013

Shizuka (志津香)

Shizuka (志津香) is just off the main street between the Nara station and Todai-ji.  It's very easy to find.  As mentioned in my previous posts, a lot of Taiwanese bloggers recommended this place so I have to come and try it myself so I know what the rave is all about.

P1370929
Don't be fooled, it gets crowded as soon as it opens.
(This is taken before 11:00 am, when I was on my way to Kasuga Shrine)
P1380203
This is right around 1:00 pm.
I forgot exactly how long I waited, probably close to an hour. T_T
P1380205
Most of them were Taiwanese tourists but there were quite a few Japanese tourists (?) as well.
P1380210
Shizuka's signature item
P1380208
I went through a long internal debate before I could decide which one I want more
P1380213
I am glad the server did not put me at one of the traditional Japanese tables.
(They have regular tables too.)
It is very uncomfortable for me to eat kneeling.
P1380214
Nara Nanashu-Kamameshi Set
奈良七種釜飯
ta-da!  I decided to try their signature item in the end :)

There is a detail step-by-step direction telling you how Shizuka makes their famous Nanashu-Kamameshi.  Click here.  Even if you can't understand what the instructions say (it is in Japanese), you can still appreciate the attention paid to each kamameshi.  :)

P1380215
P1380220
Pickled vegetables is very famous in Nara.
P1380218
Squid Salad (?)
P1380217
I remembered I enjoy this side dish very much!

The best part of a kamameshi is the "okoge" (scorched rice).  The trick to get the okoge off the iron pot easily is to ensure the lid is covered everytime you served yourself rice!

P1380216
Look how bright and colorful the kamameshi is!

Overall, I enjoyed the kamameshi but the wait-time was a little too long for me.  Perhaps I enjoy the woody flavors of chicken and mushrooms more.  I find the kamameshi from Kibune Club (貴船俱樂部) more appealing to me.

59 Noborioji-cho Nara 
(Walk east from the Kintetsu Nara Station for approximately 15 minutes)
奈良市登大路町59-11 (近鉄奈良駅から東へ15分)Tel: 0742-27-8030Hours: 11:00 ~ 20:00 (closed every Tuesday)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...