Tuesday, November 25, 2014

[Hong Kong] Matsuichiya (ラーメン松壱家)

If you have been reading my blog for a while now, you might know I am not a big fan of Japanese ramen.  I love Japanese food but I am just not a ramen enthusiast.  If given the choice, I would rather eat udon / soba (not a fan of somen either).  Yet, I would still visit ramen places once in a while to give myself another chance to have a change of heart.  This time, I chose Matsuichiya.

P1570844

Matsuichiya has an impressive restaurant network in Japan.  Surprisingly, it only started in 1998!  They are famous for their tonkotsu (pork bone) broth ramen which is supposed to be rich and packed with umami but without the "fishy" (in this case, "porky"?) taste compared to the traditional tonkotsu ramen.

P1570847
P1570848

The soup base is clearly the heart and soul of every ramen but the noodles, the char-siu (roast pork), and the condiments are not to be overlooked as well.  Clearly, Matsuichiya won't ignore these important elements of ramen and they actually developed a few types of noodles to match their soup and your preference.

P1570846
P1570838

It seems very popular lately to develop a variety of ways to enjoy your ramen.  Matsuichiya's way is their rice.  They even have a page in their menu dedicated to just that... (click here)  Needless to say, they also have different portion size to suit your appetite.

P1570841
P1570840

My friends and I ordered a few popular items off the menu.  The broth is very creamy but not overpowering.  It's lighter compared to the traditional tonkotsu so I personally prefer this better.  It reminds me of Totto Ramen in NYC, but thank god I did not have to stand in the cold and wait for 2 hours.  (It was raining very hard though on the day we went...)

P1570852
Ultimate Chicken Soup Ramen + seaweed
P1570849
Black Tonkotsu Ramen
If you love ramen and finds traditional tonkotsu a little too heavy to consume during the summer (or whenever it is hot, like today...) Matcuichiya would provide a good alternative for you :)

G/F., 4 Sun Wui Road, Causeway Bay 
銅鑼灣新會道4號地舖
Tel: +852 2433 3537
Hours: 11:00 am - 00:00 am
Cash only.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...