Tuesday, November 25, 2014

[Taipei] Nomura Sushi (のむら 野村鮨)

This is my current favorite sushi-ya in Taipei.  You will need a reservation for this one.  Lunch has the best CP (cost / performance) value but it's a place for quality and not quantity.  (Warning: You might leave hungry if you don't order additional pieces.)  This post has been hiding in my archive for so long simply because I didn't want to share it.  But then again, there are so many blogpost out there already so I guess the cat is long out of the bag.

IMG_1317

Nomura moved a few times.  The current restaurant is in Da-an district, quite close to Taipei 101.  I have been wanting to try this place for the longest time and I am glad to report it did not disappoint.  (I can't say I loved everything in the omakase but there are more hits than misses!)

IMG_1316
P1550886
P1550884
IMG_1325
The appetizer
(L) pickled vegetables
(R) squid salad
IMG_1360
Serious man is the sexiest, especially when he is a chef.  XD
IMG_1363
IMG_1364
I don't know what is sexier - the chef or the uni
Sorry chef, I have to go with the uni XD
IMG_1388
must request a closer seat to the chef next time so I can actually watch how he works
(too shy since it was my first visit this time!)
P1550891
Tai / 鯛 / Snapper

Chef Nomura got me in his first piece already.
Beautiful presentation and the fish is pristine
P1550895
Hirame / 比目魚 / Flounder

Probably my favorite in the whole omakase
This one has a shellfish-like texture
Very delicate but slight crunchy
I love it!
P1550896
Chutoro / 中トロ / Fatty Tuna

You can tell me this is steak and I will believe it.
Melts in your month goodness.
Unfortunately the toro flavor was slightly lacking.
P1550900
Aji / 鰺 / Horse Mackerel

One of my favorite sushi fish.
This one is fresh and tasty.
(If it's not fresh, it's VERY fishy! which was why I used to not eat/like this fish.)
P1550903
Beautiful china...
P1550904
...for a beautiful chawanmushi (茶碗蒸し)
P1550906
I love Japanese egg custards and this is is so delicious :P
P1550908
Kamasu / 梭子魚 / Pike

I think it is my first time trying this
Not entirely sure if it was me or the fish but my neta tasted fishy X_X
My least favorite in the omakase
P1550912
Amaebi / 甘えび / Sweet Shrimp

Pretty standard, meets expectations
P1550916
I know this is some kind of shellfish but I forgot the name.
Sorry!
P1550921
Hotate / 干貝 / Scallop

The scallop is steamed.and Chef Nomura gave it a palm punch!
(That punch startled me a little actually)
The scallop was very moist and soft.
P1550920
Uni / 雲丹 / Sea Urchin

My happy ending :)
Fresh, sweet, and umami packed!
美味い!!!
P1550925
I was actually still hungry but I wasn't asked if I wanted to encore any pieces.
Quite disappointed at that actually.
The soup was alright... can't really taste the shrimp miso.
P1550927
Chef Nomura had another pair of clients who's been encoring non-stop
So I was kinda ignored for a while.  I didn't even know if they are going to bring me my bill or what.
Finally, the chef remembered me and asked if I was still hungry.
I guess that's why I got chopped tuna instead of the regular cucumber rolls?
(or maybe he just felt generous that day?)
IMG_1384
I certainly don't mind this kind of generous... XD
IMG_1385
Black Honey Almond Tofu / 黑糖杏仁豆腐

Compared to the sushi, the desserts pale both in taste and presentation.

I know this is one of the many restaurants I would want to return the next time I go to Taipei again.  I don't know about you but I am always in this dilemma: (1) wanting to return to the restaurants I tried and love from my last visit; (2) wanting to try new restaurants that I hear a lot of good things about.  I guess it's a vicious cycle with no end... >.<

Nomura Sushi (のむら 野村鮨)
No. 4, Alley 19, Lane 300, Section 4, Ren'ai Rd, Da’an District Taipei City, Taiwan 106
台北市仁愛路四段300巷19弄4號
Tel: +886 (02) 2707 7518
Hours: (Lunch) 12:00 PM ~ 14:00 PM; (Dinner) 18:00 PM ~ 21:00 PM (Closes Monday)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...