Friday, June 28, 2013

Chasing Sakura - Japan (12) - Takayama: Sanmachi Suji (高山古町)

For those of you who don't really care for history / culture but love snacking, shopping and a relaxing afternoon, I recommend you Sanmachi Suji!  
Sanmachi (古町) - an old street full of small shops, delicious snacks, and character!http://www.hida.jp/english/activities/sightseeing-information/old-private-houses
Sanmachi Suji (高山古町)

Here's what Lonely Planet says on this place:
The centre of the old town, this district of three main streets (Ichi-no-Machi, Ni-no-Machi and San-no-Machi) is lined with traditional shops, restaurants and museums. Sake breweries are easily recognised by the spheres of cedar fronds: some open to the public in January and early February (the schedule is available at tourist offices); most of the year they just sell their wares. For beautiful nighttime shots, bring a tripod and set your camera's exposure to long.
Untitled
Untitled
Sake breweries everywhere
Untitled
I exerted all my self-control in order not to go crazy again over "seasonal specials" here.
Untitled
There is an open area inside the shop where guests can enjoy sake / coffee.
Untitled
A miso shop.
The miso is tasty but I didn't buy any since I don't quite know how / what to cook with it!
Untitled

Untitled
A very cute shop selling cloth dolls
A very cute doll house
Untitled
Hida-gyu Nigiri Sushi
Make sure you save stomach room for this!
A crowd formed after I got my food.
Untitled
Untitled
It's quite pricey but the beef is good.
Untitled
Untitled
There is even certification to prove it!
Untitled
The chef is making my sushi!
Hida beef sushi - quite expensive but so delicious!
I got the Set "C" and everything is edible
I can still taste the beef in my mouth!
I wish I have a bigger stomach
Just as I thought I am too full I got distracted again...
Hobo Miso Buns!!!
Untitled
To borrow one of my friends' famous line:
"Resistance is futile!"
Untitled
Untitled
I ended up getting distracted by traditional Japanese sweets instead :P
Untitled
Ichigo Daifuku (草莓大福)
I actually made this before.  Click here.
Now I know I need to make the wrappings thicker and the red bean paste more moist!
A gift from the dessert house :)
The nice people at the shop even gave me a free daifuku!!!
Untitled
The beef stew looks so delicious but I had no room left! >.<
Untitled
I am still allowed to imagine what it tastes like, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...